Surrey, British Columbia’s Newton is a town centre. A Surrey Public Library branch, a Kwantlen Polytechnic University campus, and a former Surrey City Hall and Courthouse are all here. Here, you’ll also find the Red FM radio station studios.
Elias John Newton, a saddler, and harness maker born and raised in Richmond, Ottawa, Ontario, on January 29, 1841 and died on August 1, 1907, was the first settler to give his name to Newton. Although his given name was Villeneuve (which means “New Town” in French), he changed his last name to one that was more recognizable to his English-speaking neighbours. With the BC Electric Railway, Newton’s expansion was accelerated and the 72nd and King George Boulevard intersection was transformed into a Town Centre.
Newton’s boundaries are commonly defined as 120 Street to the west; Colebrook Road to the south; and 152 Street to the east, for planning purposes. Between 80 and 88 avenues, the northern limit is defined by the area. Boundary Bay, a bay located to the south of Newton, has a northern section referred to as Mud Bay, which is also the name of a park and the area surrounding it.
More than half of Newton’s residents are of South Asian descent, making it the city’s most ethnically diverse town centre. Newton has a population of 149,040 as of 2016.