Close to Langley and Surrey lies Cloverdale’s central business district, making it an ideal location for shopping and dining. Because of its excellent terrain and moderate environment, the town centre was first established in 1870 as a small farming hamlet. Eventually, Cloverdale became one of Surrey’s six town centres. Cloverdale, Surrey’s historic heart, is home to a slew of historical landmarks, as well as the city’s official museum. One of its oldest structures, Christ Church, was built in 1882 and still exists today.
The first settler William Shannon, who purchased 960 acres of land from the federal government in 1875, was one of the earliest residents of Surrey Cloverdale. The abundant clover that bloomed in the area served as an inspiration for the area’s name. Cloverdale, Surrey’s initial town centre, was created in 1879 at the historic crossroads of 60 Avenue and Old McClellan Road, which is now 60 Avenue and 60 Avenue West. As a result of building the railway, the area became more developed.
Cloverdale, a branch of the Great Northern Railway, was established in the valley in 1891 to connect Bellingham, Washington, and New Westminster, British Columbia. There was built in 1881 the first Surrey Town Hall. At the southwest corner of Cloverdale, the Municipal Hall was built in 1912. On land donated by Joseph Shannon, Surrey’s first school opened its doors in 1882. As a result of Washington State’s Prohibition regulations, many Americans sought out booze in Cloverdale during the 1920s and 1930s.
Cloverdale had a population of 5,000 in 1968. The population was 65,645 as of 2016.